Wednesday, March 3, 2010

FUNNY.

Last Tuesday morning it was cold and windy, and the twenty minute transfer between buses on the way to work seemed like a good time to disappear into my coat and stare straight ahead. Eventually, though, I changed my gaze to check the time, and the person standing next to me took the opportunity to start a conversation with me. The transcript, as best as I can remember it:

     Stranger: "What time's that bus coming?"
     Me: "Oh, it should be here in a couple minutes."
     Stranger: "Are you a girl?"
     Me: "Sorry, what?"
     Stranger: "Are you, like, a woman?"
     Me: "Uhh, yes..."
     Stranger: "Girl, I didn't even know! I couldn't tell, 'cause you got that facial hair."
     Me: "Well..."

At this point I just kind of shrugged my shoulders while he stood there looking like he kind of expected me to carry on a conversation with him. Funny guy.

I laughed all week about this. The things people will say to strangers at the bus stop are fantastic. I think the guy might have been a little disappointed that I didn't seem more worried about his perception of my gender or that his realization that I might be a lady didn't mean we would be having a lengthy talk wherein I would submit to the wonders of his manhood.

There is more going on that I need to write about, but I have been busy and also sick. So all we get for now is weirdos at bus stops. Let's enjoy that, because it is the best part of every day.

Let us also enjoy the magnificent sunshine and the above-freezing temperatures, and the fact that my sister and I have started looking through seed catalogs and planning our garden. The world can be kind.

1 comment:

  1. quote taken out of context: "...I would submit to the wonders of his manhood."

    Sunshine everywhere! By that I mean the weather was nice in New Orleans today, and from what I hear the Seattle area too.

    ReplyDelete