Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Back to Life

I've been sick the last several days and haven't had many chances to get out and about the city, but today I finally got to grab a hot beverage at Blue Line in Dundee with my brothers, my sister, and a friend before my sister caught her flight back to San Francisco. It was great to be out in the neighborhood and see a few familiar faces and to just get out of the house.

Winter has only just begun, and I am already getting excited for spring, dreaming about warm weather, gardening, farmer's markets, better biking conditions, and more time spent outdoors in general. Winter is lovely, too, but I just have so many plans for spring and summer! Feeling healthy should make the rest of the cold months to come a lot more exciting and navigable, but warm weather will definitely feel like a whole new burst of freedom.

On the transportation front, I am feeling a little sad about spending so much of my travel time in cars since becoming car-less myself. The holidays made it a lot harder because there was so much family stuff to do and my parents live pretty far away from me in a much less central neighborhood. Being sick didn't really make waiting outside for buses or going on long walks seem like a great idea either, so I've mostly been staying home, and my mom was nice enough to bring me soup and a few other food items so I could avoid the walk to the grocery store. The main reason I look forward to spring is knowing that little things like that will be a lot easier and I'll be able to feel a lot more independent and successful and a lot less guilty.

Oh yeah, my sister got me a bicycle basket today! I can't wait to use it, but I have a feeling I might not be hopping my bike much in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment