This winter is already burying us, and it's only just begun! Despite a long history of existing in a part of the world where winter happens, Omaha seems to be stumped on how to handle anything more than an inch of snow.
One of the most frustrating things about getting around the city right now is the near complete absence of sidewalks. Even upon braving the cold and the wind, even after waiting for long stretches for the bus to arrive, I find that I still can't reach my destination without climbing through huge plow piles at corners and walking in the street most of the way. It sucks. The corner I wait at after work is so bad that the only thing saving me from having to stand in the middle of a busy intersection is the fact that someone drove up over the curb and packed down the snow at the very corner. Not very comforting.
I've been on a mission to convince my bosses that they need to pay attention to sidewalks, too. I'm proud to say that I finally got their attention yesterday and this afternoon the walks around the shop (or just on one side) saw a snowblower for the first time since all this madness started. It only got one pass through, so it's a narrow and windy clearing, and the guy who got stuck with the job did forget one entire section, but they'll get there.
Remembering that people have feet takes time, and all of the negligent business and property owners in the community deserve our patience.
In the mean time, I found out that you can report issues regarding sidewalk obstruction and snow removal online! The website: http://www.cityofomaha.org/pw/report-an-issue
Omaha Municipal Code, Chapter 34, Article VI is all about sidewalks and describes the responsibilities held by owners and occupants of property. Search the entire City Code here: http://library5.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=10945&doc_action=whatsnew
Surely my employers will be speedy and efficient in dealing with the fresh snow we are billed to get tomorrow, but if they aren't, I'll be there to nag them. If other people whose sidewalks are on my usual routes fail my feet, they will feel the wrath of the Public Works department! That is, of course, assuming that the city actually follows through on complaints.
I just want a safe place to walk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


yeah dude, it was awful. still is kind of. is this the same blog you showed me in summer?
ReplyDeleteNope, totally new and different!
ReplyDelete