Last night I was riding in a car with a couple of friends and we were hit going through an intersection by someone running a red light coming the other way. He hit us on the driver's side and ran us into a pole in the median. He straight up told us that he was drunk.
Everyone is okay, and I'm glad that it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, but it's upsetting. I'm not hurt bad, but my friend's face got beat up and her body's going to be in a lot of pain over the next few days. Her car is completely totaled. Our third friend is mostly unharmed.
Needless to say, I am angry. I'm angry that we were hurt. I'm angry that this person got drunk and got behind the wheel of a car, and that he sped through a red light without even pausing. I'm angry that it's so much more difficult than it should be to get around without a car. I'm angry that in a city with so many cars and so many drunk people we don't have a better way to keep the two separate. I want to stay far away from cars. I want to live in a city where it's easy to go for months without getting into a car, even in the winter.
Omaha, these are the times when it's hard for me to imagine you as a truly pretty city.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment