Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Redundant Excitement

Last night I stayed with my friends because it was too cold to go home. Good news is they bought a frier in the middle of the night and we made buffalo wings.

Despite the terrible cold, riding the bus is a lot of fun for me. Almost every day I find myself talking to some new person at a bus stop, and they are all interesting or weird or funny in different ways. I've started to notice the patterns in different kinds of people on different routes and at different times of day. The 55 in the morning is all people heading to the VA hospital and on the way back it's all men with lunch pails and toolboxes. The 2 has a little more variety. Bus drivers might be the strongest, most mysterious people in the world. Probably also the smartest because they know all kinds of people and hear all kinds of crazy shit.

Backward as it seems in one of the harshest winters we've had for a while, forcing myself to start detaching from cars has helped me stay happy and focused throughout the pain. I have to think more carefully about wearing warm clothes and I have to spend a lot more time outside in the worst of the weather, but it feels good to be changing my routine. The frustration of having to plan things around bus schedules, sitting in the cold for long stretches, and sometimes not knowing how to get anywhere isn't enough to ruin things for me. I'm living way more within my means, spending more time in contact with other people, and meeting more different kinds of people each day than I normally would in a month. New doors have opened up because I am learning how to get around in my city in ways that I can actually afford and ways that get me excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment